donderdag 30 december 2010

SGI Octane trouble: part 2

After reading up some more on the internet, I spent most part of the day trying to sort out the display problems I have with my Octane.

As described in my previous post, I cut a VGA cable in half to be able to rewire the connections using a breadboard.  As the leads in the VGA cable are a bit flimsy I soldered them to some sturdier wire attached on a test PCB that I cut to size.



So after a lot of soldering and fiddling around I had a breadboard setup ready to test out possible solutions.


The image above is as the wires would be in a regular VGA cable.  As this does not work I tried out a first possible solution, as described here.



But to no avail.  So I disconnected everything but the RGB channels.


Again, didn't solve the problem. So I tried out two other possible wire ups trying to match the pinouts found googling around:

VGA13W3
1A1
2A2
3A3
510
6A1 return
7A2 return
8A3 return
122
134
145

VGA13W3
1A1
2A2
3A3
6A1 return
7A2 return
8A3 return
112
126
134
145

Again, this did not provide any output on my DELL.

So, conceding defeat (for now) I just ordered an adapter that is 'guaranteed' to work with SGI machines, I'll see if it provides a solution.  For the moment I'm out of inspiration on how to solve this problem. I'll let you know if the new adapter was a solution or if I try out something new to get this working.

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie plaatsen